The concentration camp of Mauthausen in Austria is located near the Danube River between the cities of Linz and Vienna. The name meant Mauthausen between 1938 and 1945 years of fear and terror and was synonymous with death through slave labor in a quarry.
It was built in August 1938, five months after the annexation of Austria to Germany. This site was chosen by the vast amount of existing granite. The camp had two main objectives: to combat political and ideological opposition through terror and exploit the labor of prisoners. This field was the only one classified as Stage III, that is, for convicted criminals, individuals unsociable.
At first, the prisoners were exposed to different situations during the construction of inhuman field. Brutalities, punishment based on terror, hunger, contempt and constant presence of death were part of life inside the camp. The death happened at Mauthausen in several ways: shooting, hanging, lethal injections, gas chambers, cold, hunger and electrocution in the electrified walls.
For this field concentration became 206 000 people. More than 110,000 prisoners died. On May 3, 1945 there were about 64,800 men and 1,734 women.
The english version of this article will be available soon. In the meanwhile, the text above was the result of a Google translation from portuguese version to english.